Composer Cassis B has studied music at the Hamburg State University (Music Theater) and at the Juilliard University in New York City (film music/orchestration). Rick Baitz chose her for his BMI Film Music Masterclass where she wrote for members of the well known New York string quartet ‘Ethel’.
Working for director Jim Jarmusch brought her to New York City. She won a Golden Palm at the Cannes International Film Festival for being one of the producers of the Iggy Pop and Tom Waits segment Coffee and Cigarettes.
Cassis B’s band b-blush featuring the esteemed drummer David Cossin (YoYo Ma/Bang on a Can Allstars), performed regularly in New York. In 2004 one of her ideas lead to the Oscar nominated film Ferry Tales with a specially composed theme song by Cassis.
Peter Patzak featured Cassis B in the documentary Denk ich an Deutschland after incorporating five of Cassis B’s songs into his film Zodiac Sign. One of Cassis B’s sound sculptures was installed at the Denver International Airport.
For the feature About A Girl, Cassis B founded an eponymous band with the legendary bass player Herbie Flowers (Walk on the Wild Side/David Bowie) who hired her for eight years to teach songwriting at his Rock Shop (music workshops in England), along with other musicians like Chris Spedding (Roxy Music).
Cassis B’s DJ project ‘scratch ‘N sniff’ was presented in Bangalore at the conference Doors East. With her own band as well as a band member of Michael Gira’s The Angels of Light and with Matt Keating Cassis B toured extensively Europe, Northern America and Mexico.
WORK IN PROGRESS:
- THE MERCURIUS of MOLENBEEK D: Reeta Huhtanen documentary ARTE
- DER KRIEG IN UNS D: Sebastian Heinzel documentary ZDF/ARTE
- ORCHESTRAL FILM MUSIC ‘Symphonic Triptych 01’ commissioned by the Otto-Sinfoniker to the films of Leighton Pierce, Phil Solomon and Paul Clipson, Berlin 2016www.hearart.de
- DIE ANFÄNGERIN D: Alexandra Sell feature ice skating music ZDF/ARTE
- RIVERS D: Katja Esson 5-part TV series RBB/ARTE
- THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN GAME (score) D: Douglas Morse doc 2015
- RECONCILIATION (score/sound design) D: Ivalo Frank 30 minute short film gallery 2015
- MISTRESS (score/composer) D: Anja Murmann 20 minute short film cinema 2014
- EINZELKAEMPFER/I WILL NOT LOSE (score/composer) D: Sandra Kaudelka documentary cinema ZDF 2014 63. Berlinale Perspektive Deutsches Kino
- BACKROADS (composer) D: Katja Esson 5-part TV series ARTE 2013
- NOVARTIS (composer) D: Nader Sadre Inhouse commercials 2012
- ANTS GO MANY WAYS (score/composer) D: Catharina Deus feature cinema ZDF 2011 Co-writings with J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr Winner of the Biber: Biberach Filmfestival
- PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS (composer) D: Ellen Frick documentary 2011
- Commercial for UN, Avel Braz (score, composer) D: Donna Vermeer Green Focus Films 2010
- ANALOG LOVE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 2009
- A HEALING ART (composer) D: Ellen Frick short doc winner POV doc Challenge 2009
- FLYPAPERTHIN (composer, bandleader) soundtrack Bug Music CD 2008
- FIREBIRD (score/composer) D: Melvin Estrella short film 2008
- LIVING LIGHTLY (score/composer) D: Robin Burke documentary PBS 2006 winner director’s choice, Kentucky Filmfestival
- EMPIRE II (composer) D: Amos Poe documentary film poem 2007
- DIE BOXERIN - ABOUT A GIRL (score/composer) D: Catharina Deus feature cinema ZDF 2006 German Independence Award, Best Film, Filmfest Oldenburg; Rio de Janeiro: Femina - International Women’s Film Festival, Best Student Feature Film
- DAYBREAK (composer) D: John Anklow short film 2006
- SOUNDSCULPTURE DENVER AIRPORT (artist) 2004
- FERRY TALES (Idea/theme song) D: Katja Esson documentary cinema HBO 2003 Oscar nominated in 2004
- FRIEND OF A HAIRDRESSER (score/composer) D: Catharina Deus short film 2002
- ZODIAC SIGN (songs) D: Peter Patzak feature cinema MDR 3Sat 2001 winner of Emerging Maverick Award, San Jose 2003
- YOU ARE HERE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 2001
- VERTICAL TRAVELER (score/composer) D: Katja Esson documentary PBS 2000
- HEARTCORE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 1999
- DEAD MAN (Ass. LM) D: Jim Jarmusch, feature 1995
- MARC RIBOT – DESCENT INTO BALDNESS (producer/director) documentary 1994
- COFFEE AND CIGARETTES (producer) D: Jim Jarmusch, short 1993 Winner ‘Golden
- Palm’, Cannes International Filmfestival
- SCHICKSAL UND ZUFALL (producer/director with M. Glasner) cinema 1990
- REQUIEM (producer, editor) D: Matthias Glasner festival film (Munich) 1986
++++++ PRESS ++++++
Rolling Stone Germany:
b-blush is a New York trio with the German singer Cassis, whose voice at times is heavily reminiscent of chanteuses Debbie Harry and Nico. The music of the unusual band swings somewhere between pop, chanson and electronics. Instruments like saxophone, vibraphone or accordion take equal place with sequencers and different computerworks, without being embarrassing. How b-blush pulls this off is unexplainable. Maybe it is due to the cosmopolitan big apple atmosphere, or the determined will of these three musicians to create something new. Keep an eye on b-blush in the future. This band is taking pop to new places.
Analog Love - Cassis and the Sympathies:Benign, serene coming down from the clouds wilfully we slow dive into Analog Love, a neon lit lounge, default setting on sultry, though soon enough we allow the lady to take our hand and dance us into a wide open cinema land.
This is new wave old romantic, ambient, impulsive, addictive, a darker Julee Cruise, a content Nico, still slightly dangerous, a sweetly lethal bubblegum, deep blue tripping over the rhythm disguised as sighs.
There is that skewed perspective that Lydia Lunch gave on Queen of Siam, though this time the chanteuse is backed by a mixture of Yello and seemingly old time wicked Jazz musicians playing for their souls.
In these songs disturbing desire is just, always JUST, a finger click away. These are invitations to a languid version of Hell, an acceptably edgy version of Heaven. Piano and Accordion entice and bewitch in the guise of slick warped ballads, tears and escape, they urge us to close our eyes and
A cool journey away from the modern normal.
She became what not many Germans have accomplished in New York: talk of the (Down) Town.
One of the most unusual discoveries of Euro-Pop is called b-blush. You won't be able to put them in a drawer ...
You are resting on a meadow, in the midst of rich grass. The sun is shining and so is the world. You open your eyes and you find yourself back on a couch, at home on a cold Septmeber-day. In this case you probably have 'heartcore' from b-blush in your cd player, spheric, loungy and floating. On the 6th of October the New York band performs in Berlin and promises a trip hop electronic performance that 'llshoot straight into your heart.
b-blush are presenting disturbing pleasant music and are drawing you in big time. - Whoever wanders through the ir sound landscape s reminded of Portishead or Bjoerk - or of the music that would be in a jukebox on Mars.
"the surprise of the month - b-blush from New York. Not only the instrumentation of the quartett surrounding the singer Cassis is unusual. Their style is looking for idols like Portishead, some Jazz and many new ideas. The artistic of Cassis with the cult director Jim Jarmusch has influenced their music.
Cassis succeeded in something that others only dream about: as a German to conquer New York. Cosmopilitan dance grooves, europop, electronics. There is no name yet for b-blush's style.
b-blush takes the best of New York and Berlin. With European pop-trips they are cooling the hectic New York downtown-puls. The chanson voice as well as the accordion and vibraphone are lending the human touch to the electronic ambience. Aesthetically following the 4AD-Light-Acts, they urge you to dance or fly.
Blushing? Oh no! Showing emotions? Uhhh! One doesn't do that? b-blush does it with style. They not only have fun with it but also success. The singer, Cassis, shows how you can sink heavily into couch pillows weighed down by trembling thoughts. Or how you can dance in the spring rain with a melancholic yearning heart....
Dare to live. Cassis is always on the move like the beats that dance in her midi-accordion, bonbon-pop with a slide taste of sweet-saltylicorice...
Cassis, the focus of the band. with her red dress, her big gestures and her cool yet erotic voice. 'Take it Easy' - that's what the music reflects as well, passionately playful. ... a band with the flair of the New York Boheme... ressembles Velvet Underground and Nico. But b-blush is unique and it will be interesting to follow their future.
Time Out NY, Amy Kellner:
Get there early for trippy, ethereal pop act b-blush. German chanteuse and accordionist Cassis leads the swirly, playful group, which also features David Cossin - a member of the wacky Blue Man Group. The band's lovely album 'heart- core' would be much treasured by fans of the Cocteau Twins. Live, it incorporates an ambient slide show, and it will make you feel glamorously transcontinental.
CMJ, New York:
Sweeping and majestic ethereal pop built from the foundation of an alluring accordion. b-blush winks it way into your heart courtesy of bi's sexy vocals and an unconventional bass/drums/vibraphone rhythm section.
Viva TV, Germany:
The new buzz in New York: b-blush. The popband with unusual instrumentation (sax, accordeon, vibraphone,...), intelligent lyrics and a charming german singer is creating a visceral vibe.
Time Out NY, Rob Kemp:
b-blush is the area's premier oompahcore outfit. b-blush will appeal to fans who crave a more Teutonic version of Congo Norvell. We recommend this show highly." - "b-blush purveys ’continental' pop, which shouldn't put you in the mind of the East Village hard-rock strong hold. Think accordion-driven chansons given a downtown spin." - "You feel like you're sitting near the Seine drinking wine during springtime when you hear blush's accordion driven stylings." - "Wistful, accordion-festooned lounge act b-blush...
NY Press pick: NY Press, John Strausbaugh:
Bi and her band forge beyond the lounge scene with their lush, ironic neo-cabaret music. They build their tunes in languid, sometimes trippy washes of accordion sighs and echoing vibes, the tempo as measured as Enya's pulse. Bi sings studiously offhand deadpan - cf. Nico, Deborah Harry, Karen Akers - nicely undercut by winking, off-kilter lyrics ('You stood me up / No exception, no rule / It's what it is / Don't trigger me'). Cool yet warm and likable.
With her loungy accordion and the irony implicit in her unruffled vocal delivery, Bi leads her bass-drums-vibraphone combo in slouching and winking its way through a smart futuro-cabaret act. A warm heart pumps just beneath the cool surface of this statuesque pose and makes it, uh, Blush.
Bild Zeitung, Germany:
Their first CD reveals their passion...
German Rolling Stone:
Pressestimmen: Pop der Zukunft - cosmopolitscher Tanzbeat. Die B-Blush sind ein New Yorker Trio mit einer deutschen Sängerin namens Cassis, deren Stimme zuweilen recht kräftig an Chanteusen wie Debbie Harry oder Nico erinert. Die Musik der ungewöhnlichen Band schwingt irgendwo zwischen Pop, Chanson und Elektronik. Instrumente wie Saxofon, Vibrafon oder Akkordeon nehmen neben Sequenzern und allerlei Computerkram gleichberechtigt Platz, ohne dass dabei der gewohnt-peinliche Effekt der Bemühtheit entsteht. Wie sie es machen, ist unklar. Vielleicht liegt es aber an dem weltoffenen Big-Apple Ambiente, oder auch nur am beherzten Willen dieser drei Musiker, etwas Neues zu schaffen. Sollte man sich für die kommenden Jahre vormerken. Hier hat Pop eine Zukunft.(Song ’Big Red Riding Hood auf dem Heft beiliegender CD)
Der Knoten im NetzEin bewährtes Small-Talk-Thema besagt, dass es ein jeder jeden anderen Menschen über höchstens sechs Mittelsleute kennt. In der Musikbranche dürften es weit weniger Stationen sein, zumal hier bands wie b-blush als internationale Kontaktbörse fungieren: Viele von Rang und Namen haben mit dem New Yorker Trio gearbeitet - und das, obwohl es erst eine 5 Titel CD vorgelegt hat: der Gitarrist Marc Ribot, der Münchner Trommler Falk Willis und sein Kollege Andre Rattay von Blumfeld, Christian Schantz aus dem Notwist-Kreis und etliche viele mehr. B-blush- Percussionist David Cossin hat bei der Oscar-prämierten Filmmusik für Ang Lees 'Tiger and Dragon' getrommelt; Cassis - Sängerin und Akkordeonistin aus Berlin - hat an Videos von Jim Jarmusch mitgewirkt. B-blush sind begehrt, weil sie gut sind. Ihre elektronisch angereicherten Chansons, die sich nicht für Dur oder Moll entscheiden möchten, spielen die drei in München im Club 2.